The Indiana Senate budget proposal ignores the needs of charter school students by removing the facilities funding grant. As you know, charter schools must divert dollars from the classroom to pay for facilities and other needs. This is resulting in programs being cut and staff being reduced state-wide, and it’s happening here at APA. Based on current estimates for the biennial budget and school funding formula, APA is set to receive HALF of the amount of funding per student when compared to local districts. We currently do not receive capital projects funding which comes from your tax dollars. The charter school facility grant will allow us to update our facilities, make needed repairs, reinstate programs and provide a better education for your child. Your child attends an A-rated school and deserves A-rated facilities and programs!
It is imperative that the charter school community let their voices be heard on this issue!
Here are three ways you can help right now:
1) Email every member of the Indiana Senate here. Sample text is provided, but please make these messages personal to illustrate the real children and families affected by these policies.
2) Call at least six members of the Indiana General Assembly and urge them to support a state budget that includes facilities funding for charter schools:
- Senator Long: 317-232-9416
- Senator Kenley: 317-232-9453
- Senator Mishler: 317-233-0930
- Senator Hershman: 317-232-9840
- Representative Bosma: 317-232-9677
- Representative T. Brown: 317-232-9651
I am calling to ask _________ to support a state budget that gives charter schools $1,500 per student for facilities funding. Without these funds, charter schools are forced to divert dollars away from their classrooms.
3) Take to social media.
- Using #fairfunding4kids, tweet messages of support for a state budget that includes charter school funding.
- Use the Hoosiers for Quality Education action center to tweet at specific legislators (click on the Twitter tab).
- Post on Facebook and tag specific legislators.
.@INSenateGOP is ignoring the needs of charter school students by removing facilities funding from state budget. #INLegis #fairfunding4kids
.@INSenateGOP funding for charter school facilities will help drive more dollars to the classroom. #fairfunding4kids
Public charter schools don’t receive local property tax dollars. Traditional pubs receive average of $3,000 per student. #fairfunding4kids
Thank you for helping us get the word out and gain support for our school! The legislative session will be ending soon, so the sooner we can be heard, the better chance we have of getting this funding!
Director of Academics & Curriculum